My first attempt at upcycling furniture

When my husband and I bought our house we didn’t have nearly enough furniture for it.We moved from a 2 bedroom flat to a 4 bedroom house. We still don’t have enough furniture but I’m constantly looking on Facebay for some bargains. A couple of months ago I managed to get a chest of drawers and a bedside table for £20. Below is what they originally looked like!


The drawers had some really ugly drawer handles too but I took this photo after I’d taken them off and started painting! I bought some Annie Sloan chalk paint to do these up with in Paris Grey. The spare room that I bought the furniture for will be decorated in a grey and green colour scheme eventually so I wanted something to match. Annie Sloan chalk paint is amazing because it paints on near enough anything without having to do any sanding or preparation. The furniture only took 2 coats of paint and each one dried within a couple of hours so I managed to get most of the painting done in one go. Instead of just painting the shell and the fronts I also painted the insides of the drawers.


As you can see, the drawers look completely different than they did to begin with and so much better! So far I have put on 2 coats of Annie Sloan clear wax to seal and protect the paint but I still need to put another coat on and then buff. 

One of the trickiest things with this furniture was the handles. I couldn’t find any drawer handles that had the exact measurements for the holes already screwed in. I was tempted to fill them with wood filler and drill new holes but then I found a solution. In a local store I found some large round handles that are swirls. By using 2 of these next to each other it gives the impression that it is one large handle! This was so much easier than what I was going to do. The shop has run out at the moment so I still need a couple more!

I also wanted to do something a bit special with the insides of the drawers. They can look so plain and boring when they’re just one colour so I decided to decopatch them. I found some really lovely flowery decopatch paper to line the drawers with. This part was really tricky as the sheets were just smaller than A4 and a pain to lay flat in one go. I also had to use different size strips of paper around the edges and some bits overlap so it doesn’t look as neat as it could do but for my 1st attempt, I’m pretty happy. The drawers will be filled anyway so it doesn’t matter too much I guess. From afar they look lovely though. I’ve added on a couple of top coats of glue/ varnish too so that the paper is sealed and has a smooth finish. 


I really love the insides of these drawers now! They really do have that something extra now when you open them.

It’s taken me quite a while to get these done as I only have time on my days off to do bits to them. I can’t wait to get my final couple of handles for them to be finished completely.


For my 1st attempt at upcycling furniture, I’m so pleased with the result. Now I have done these pieces I think I could easily do some more especially now I know how the products work and what to do differently next time!
Sharing is caring!Email this to someoneShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponPin on PinterestShare on Tumblr

Leave a Reply