AD | Sponsored content
When you own your own home there are things that you need to think about over the years. All houses are prone to general wear and tear and there are likely to be changes you want to make the longer you live there. We have lived in our house for 5 years now and we haven’t managed to nearly anything on our (huge) list thanks to a lack of funds. However, it’s now time to make a plan of what needs doing and when and we can slowly work towards saving up for these jobs. Here’s what we would like to do:
- After some really heavy rain a couple of weeks ago we realised that there’s an issue with some of our gutters at the back of the house. We ended up having water run down the side of our house which then trickled in through a window somehow so we need to get this looked at and fixed ASAP. We wouldn’t want heavy rain to cause a big leak!
- A bigger job but I would really like to get the whole house re-pointed. We live in a Victorian semi and the previous owners didn’t look after it too well. I can see gaps where the bricks need re-pointing so I would rather have it all done in one go for peace of mind. I don’t know how much this would cost though at the minute so I’d need to get a quote first.
The dream wish list
- Central heating
- Unfortunately, we are stuck with a super old boiler and electric storage heaters at the moment. Although this is quite an important job it’s also one that will cost thousands of pounds and something we just can’t afford any time soon. I think this one is something we need to slowly save for and then maybe add a radiator at a time once we have the new boiler in place to help spread the cost.
- A loft conversion
- We are so lucky to have a large loft and right now we use it for storage. However, we would love to do a proper loft conversion and make it into a room that’s a bit more usable. However, we don’t have any space at home to store all of the boxes. Somewhere like Shurgard Self-Storage Romford would be a great place to store everything we currently have in the loft, keeping it safe from any damage, while any work was being completed. They have 5 floors of storage ranging from 15 square feet to 390 square feet and their loading area is covered so you don’t even need to worry about the rain! There is also no minimum rental period so you can rent for as long as you need while you have any work done at home.
Things we’d like to do
- All but 2 rooms need re-plastering or skimming. While they do need doing, the rooms are mostly okay as they are at the moment and it’s not something that bothers me too much. We would like to have the plastering done in each room though before we decorate. With this being quite a large job, especially in some of our larger rooms, this is something else that we could use self-storage for. Having our belongings elsewhere while the work is being done would make it easier for the plasterer and also help to stop our home from being chaotic and stressful.
- Our living room is getting quite desperate for some new flooring. The carpet in the front half of the room is thin and warn out and the wooden floor in the back half has gaps between the floorboards. New flooring would make the big room feel a lot cosier and also stop some of the cold coming in through the wooden floor.
We have a lot of work to do over the next few years and we just need to make a start somewhere!
PIN IT FOR LATER