I am a pretty fussy eater and I don’t actually eat that much veg. However, something I have with every roast or Christmas dinner is carrots. I love them but I have only ever cooked them in the same way and they can get pretty boring after a while. While I was in an experiencing mood I wondered whether or not you could cook carrots in an air fryer. Here’s out the air fryer carrots turned out!
To start with, I cut the carrots into bigger chunks and I quickly realised that they would take a very long time to cook in the middle and would probably be too brown on the outside. This is why I recommend cutting into the sizes mentioned in the recipe below. I imagine that you can do larger chunks if you wanted to but I would advise par boiling them beforehand.
To make the carrots slightly different to normal, and to add a bit more sweetness to them, I decided to add in a little bit of honey. A small amount of oil helps cooking in the air fryer but you could cook without as well, only using the honey instead. The amount needed really depends on personal taste. I added about a tablespoon and I wouldn’t have wanted them much sweeter. It also depends on how big a portion you’re cooking too as more carrots will obviously need more honey.
The carrots should be shaken about half way through cooking, just to make sure the cook evenly. Carrots of the size mentioned should cook in about 12-15 minutes so give them a shake after 6-7 minutes. You can check how they’re doing every couple of minutes from them with a knife to see how soft they are in the middle.
As you can see, there will be some darker parts on the carrots which is only natural with them being cooked in the air fryer. With the added sweetness of the honey, you don’t really taste any charred flavouring. The carrots are soft on the inside and some with have a little extra texture with a crunch to the edges.
These carrots are really lovely and can be made in advance of your meal. I made these a couple of hours before we were due to eat, refrigerated when cool and then re-heated in the air fryer for a few minutes before serving!
I’d love to know if you’ve had carrots cooked this way before and what you thought! Let me know in the comments.
Air Fryer Carrots
- 3 large carrots
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- Pre-heat air fryer to 190C.
- Peel 3 large carrots and cut off at each end.
- Chop carrots into 3-4cm chunks. The bigger the pieces the longer they will take to cook. You can also cut into long strips like chips.
- In a small mixing bowl, add carrots, olive oil and honey. Try to ensure all carrots are covered with the mixture.
- When the air fryer is hot, throw in the carrots and cook for 12-15 minutes, shaking in the middle to ensure even cooking.
- Serve immediately or cool and refrigerate. These carrots can be quickly re-heated in 4-5 minutes in the air fryer and they will still taste the same!