Help Learning To Read By Post With Reading Chest

AD | Paid collaboration Now that Erin has moved up from nursery to reception I’m more aware of things that we could be doing with her at home. Although we love to read at home, I wouldn’t say we have really done much in the way of helping Erin learn to read. Honestly, I’m not sure I would have known what books are right for her or what to pick. Luckily, Reading Chest came to the rescue and offered to let us try their silver subscription for 3 months. Reading Chest offer a book rental service by post. The amount

Creative Ways To Learn Outdoors

AD | Collaborative post Although a lot of us are looking at children going back to school in a couple of weeks that doesn’t mean that learning at home has to stop. We are always looking for ways to play with Erin at home with some kind of educational aspect attached, even if she might not realise it. Here are some of the things we do with Erin, both at home and while out and about. Scavenger hunts Over the course of lock down we spent quite a bit of time at our local woods. It was somewhere to escape

Five Insights For Parents Resuming College Education

AD | Collaborative post There’s approximately one in every five students who is a parent. Of these students, 30% are male parents, while the other 70% are female parents. More single moms go back to college to continue with their studies. A report by an Institute for Women’s Policy found out these data. For parents, resuming college education needs a balance of academics, college assignments, family, and work in some cases. It’s not easy to maintain a balance in all these fields. The following are some tips you could employ to help you saddle back on your education journey—and hopefully

Children’s Book Reviews: Weird Weather and Changing Climates

AD | Includes gifted item and affiliate links (marked with *) This week’s children’s book review is all about Weird Weather and Changing Climates. It was published by Welbeck Publishing and can be purchased on Amazon*. Engage Key Stage 1 and 2 children with real world issues by combining carefully tailored information with simple and fun activities and projects that they can do at home. The world’s climate is changing as a direct result of human activity. This book looks at what climate change is, the ways in which it is affecting our planet and suggests projects and ideas to

Magicube World Building Set Review

AD | Post contains gifted items and affiliate links marked with * Erin is due to start Reception in September but like a lot of children, she has had a large chunk of time this year where she wasn’t at nursery. Homeschooling didn’t come easy to us and I think thanks to Erin attending a Montessori nursery, she wasn’t such a fan of sitting and doing worksheets. So, we’ve had to look for different ways for Erin to learn and I think she honestly does better at the moment if that comes through play. When I first saw the Magicube* World

The Return To Nursery And Why We Said Yes

Being at home for 10+ weeks and trying to homeschool a 4 year old is really hard, especially when you’re not a teacher. Although we started off well, keeping to a loose routine and making sure Erin did plenty of educational activities every day it sadly didn’t last long. Erin wasn’t really a fan of how we did things, which might be down to the fact that she attends a Montessori nursery and they do things a little bit differently there. There’s no sitting at a dining table and working on sheets filled with letters to learn how to write.

Making Learning Fun With Busy Things

AD | Gifted subscription Educating Erin at home was never something I had planned. I’m sure it’s something a lot of us didn’t plan for our children. However, we were thrown into a strange situation very quickly and this meant that a lot of our children wasn’t able to go to school for quite some time. I am not a teacher, and I don’t really know much about what Erin should be learning at age 4. With her due to start in Reception in September I was keen to make sure we did at least something every day but I quickly

Children’s Book Review: What Do Scientists Do All Day

AD | Post contains gifted items and affiliate links (marked with *) This week’s children’s book review is all about What Do Scientists Do All Day?, which can be purchased on Amazon*. What do scientists do all day? Find out in this beautifully illustrated book that features more than 100 scientists at work. Little ones can explore 14 different colourful scenes, turning the page after each to learn about eight special scientists you will find there. Spot the scientists and learn about the jobs they do in these fascinating places: nature reserve, health center, Arctic research station, hospital, museum, our